Sunday, June 10, 2007

Another kind of graduation


Today will be the last day that I will see Ivana before I leave Hawaii. Wow..we have been together for almost 3 years (it would have been three years this coming Sept). How time flies. I remember signing up to be a Big Sister about 3 1/2 years ago and they finally got me my match slightly more than half a year later.
My first few experiences with Ivana were not easy. I mean..I thought how bad can it be right? I do have a younger brother…am kindda experienced and all. Well, Ivana comes from a single-parent family, parents are divorced and am the only child. She was spoilt and she will throw tantrums if she could not get what she wanted. It was a little difficult to get through to her. And now fast forward slightly more than 2 ½ years later, we are communicating much better. She’s grown up so much, knows how to compromise, am much smarter and reasons very well. Of course I would like to think that I did play a part in all that!!

When I told her that I was leaving the Big Brother Big Sister organization as I am planning to go home, it was difficult for her. It is difficult for a young girl to part with her “big sister” - someone who sees her almost every week for the past couple of years. But she was a tough girl. She understands. Told her that it is like graduation. You got to leave elementary school to go on to middle school. Got to part with your friends. It will be sad but it’s a step one has to take to achieve bigger and better things in life.

I just hope that I was able to influence her, teach her enough and give her some sort of foundation that she will be able to use through her life… especially now that she’s becoming a teenager. Hope she remembers me!


Self Made diploma for Ivana


No comments: